Sunday, February 1, 2009

Art Felt Naturals







During my extended holiday break I've discovered a new art form: dry felting with natural wool. The most amazing things can be made from wool fiber and a sharp barbed needle. You don't sew the wool with the needle; you poke or stab it. The tiny barbs on the needle cause the fibers to catch each other and intertwine. Through repetition you can actually sculpt the wool! The art work done in this medium is just incredible! Here is the second sculpture I've made.




She is a spirit doll called "Colorado Sky Goddess". She is the color of the Colorado sky in winter. As she rises above her realm the sun is in her face and clouds stream from her arms and legs.








2 comments:

Unknown said...

this is so beautiful..
so glad I found your blog..
I want to learn how to do this...
mona & the girls

Mary Beth said...

Thanks for the compliment! A good place to find out a lot of information on needle felting:

http://www.feltingforum.com